1. In some regions of Spain it is obligatory to register your pet with the Ayuntamiento – in the Estepona region for example the town hall require all dog owners to register their pet in the Municipal Registry (Registro Municipal de Animales de Compania del Ayuntamiento). Check with your local town hall if this is necessary where you live.
2. Owners must have their pets innoculated against rabies annually and keep the certificate to show to the authorities if required.
3. Pet owners are obliged to keeptheir pets in hygienic and sanitary conditions.
4. The owner is responsible for any damage or injury caused to people, objects or public areas.
5. You are not allowed to abandon pets in the streets or on any closed premises.
6. In public places all dogs need to be on a leash (non-extendable) and in addition dogs over 20 kg, should also be muzzled.
7.Dog fouling is not allowed on streets, pavements or other public areas. Should this occur the owner must have a plastic bag to collect the excrement.
8. It is absolutely forbidden to feed any animal on the streets as well as to leave food or any container to the same end.
Pet Owners ignoring these laws based on the current legal system will risk prosecution under the Ley 11/2003 de 24 de Noviembre, de Proteccion de Animales (Junta de Andalucia).
FINES - Animal Protection Law
Minor infractions from 75.00 to 500.00€
Major infractions from 501.00 to 2000.00€
Serious infractions from 2,001 to 30,000€
Minor infractions from 150.00 to 300.00€
Major infractions from 300.00 to 2,404.00 €
Serious infractions from 2,404.00 to 15,025.00€